Carpet Maintenance and Care Tips
Owning a carpet means taking care of it for years to come. A properly maintained carpet will look like new for the life of the carpet as long as you stay on top of cleaning it. Follow this guide for general tips on carpet care.
- Vacuum regularly. Once a week should be sufficient or twice a week if you are dealing with an area that receives heavy traffic. You should use a vacuum with adjustable rotating brushes to loosen soil from the fibers; however you should check your carpet’s manufacturer recommendations as rotating brushes can damage certain types of fibers. Replace the bag when it becomes half full to allow the vacuum to work at optimum efficiency.
- Clean spills immediately, as they can stain the carpet fibers or liquid can seep through to the backing of the floor and potentially cause mold to grow. Blot spills with a white paper towel or cloth. Using colored cloths is ill-advised as ink or dyes can bleed through to the carpet and stain it.
- Use area rugs in high-traffic areas to reduce your carpet’s exposure to substances that can soil or stain it. Using doormats in entrances will also greatly reduce the amount of dirt that is tracked onto your floor.
- Refer to your carpet’s manufacturer instructions to know which cleaners are approved for use on your floor. Some chemicals may permanently damage your carpet and using an unapproved cleaner can void your warranty.
- The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends that you have your carpet professionally cleaned every 12-18 months. There are many different methods for deep cleaning, so you should refer to your manufacturer’s instructions to see which methods are covered by your warranty. The most common method of deep cleaning is hot water extraction.
We hope these tips will help you effectively take care of your carpet. If you have any questions about your carpet or other flooring, give us a call at 409-234-7159 or stop by our showroom at 6690 Eastex Freeway in Beaumont, TX.